Friday, March 03, 2006


Door to Dorchester

Hopefully, I will not have to resort to the above referenced strategy, but I have still not found accommodations for tonight. Hotels I had found in Weymouth turned out to be full. I'm going to go to Tourist Information though, here in Dorchester, they should be able to help me out.

On to today's travels: I took the 0840 GMT bus from Salisbury to Dorchester. As I left the town, we came up over a hill and, though I had spent much of yesterday traipsing around the hills and farmland near Stonehenge when I walked back to Amesbury from there, visiting the contemporaneous King's Barrows which crest the ridge facing the henge along the avenue to the Avon, the hypothesized processional path along which the great stones were transported, I had not expected the above sight. This photographic representation pales in comparison, quite literally, as the colors of life in the south Wiltshire were bright flashing chlorophyll and emerald, sapphire and sky, the early morning detritus of the night hung over what artists refer to as the middle distance giving it a haze which is, I think well represented in the photo. The white splotch on the left is not a stunning atmospheric oddity but whatever cream-colored grime is capable of climbing to the windows on the second story of a bus.

I arrived in Dorchester at half past ten and proceeded to find somewhere to leave my luggage, I mean backpack. Then I had tea and a sandwich and went to the Dorset County Museum, where I saw the study of Thomas Hardy, an ichthyosaur found in Lyme Regis about 10 miles southwest, and much information about the prehistoric mounds and ruins in the area. I then walked to Maumbury Rings, a Neolithic site once used as an amphitheater, following the invasion by Rome. These can be seen here: http://photos.yahoo.com/dougefresh42 in the album Oxford to Dorchester, along with many other pictures from the last few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home